Thread: Hockey Camps
View Single Post
Old
11-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Crossroads*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Among the skating drills I remember most from Howie meeker's camp was that as you skated around the ice, for all drills you were skating backwards going around the ice ... you only turned to skate forwad just before you reached the blueline, then did the drills between the bluelines, and then went right back to skating backwards.

By doing that it taught you backward skating, and also turning and balance. Only after you showed great proficiency, in skating ability (less than 10% of campers), did you get the opportunity to carry the puck during the skating drills. Even then you only carried the puck while skating backwards moving around the ice, you gave them in between the bluelines.

The other ingenious thing about Meeker's camp was how the scrimages were held at night. he hated regular scrimmages, because he didn't feel that players got to handle the puck enough. He created some crazy scrimmages, that are impossible to describe without being able to draw, but bottom line was that:

The was 1 puck for every two skaters on the ice., so players go to handle the puck a ton. There were shots coming from everywhere and very often so the goalies got a ton of work ... there was often mass confusion of a ton of players on the ice, playing different pucks going in different directions, so keeping your head up was a MAJOR priority.
Hey, I noticed you played Penn St. I would've been in your division if I hadn't have gotten hurt. I got offered a full scholarship but had a horrible knee injury and after numerous surgeries, just decided to call it quits and concentrate on my education here (currently at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario).