Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: Cam Ward Signs 6 Year Extension
View Single Post
Old
09-30-2009, 04:16 PM
WoodGundy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elriz View Post
Cam Ward is a playoff goaltender, he's not getting paid because of his regular season numbers, which until last year were bad for even a backup.

When Cam Ward doesn't show up for an entire playoff series, I would say that brings a little off his value. He's an average at best regular season goaltender already, when he starts to show chinks in his armor in the playoffs (where most of his value lies) by dropping a series himself then I don't think he's worth the 6.3 million cap hit.

Is he a bad goaltender? No, he's won a ****ing cup and a conn smythe. But at sometime you have to realize that was 4 seasons ago and look at what he has done since then. Yes, he is still improving and could turn out to be a beast and make this number a steal, but i think 6.3 on Cam Ward is a gamble.
Ward's regular season stats are skewed by playing in a Laviolette system. I would be surprised if his numbers are not easily career highs in a full season under Maurice.

As others have said, there is no hometown discount in this deal, but it is still a good deal for the organization.

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote