View Single Post
Old
09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
You don't start shopping defensemen until you know what's going on.

The value to a Stanley Cup team goes like this: G, D, C, W.

I remember we had Blackburn, Holmqvist, Asplund and the guy who was left out: Lundqvist. How would trading him at the time have looked right now?

Let's fill up our top 6, then we'll talk. It would be nice to have 6 young deefnsemen, 4 of whom would be underpaid because they just made the NHL.

It will free up a lot of cap space in case we need to acquire someone like Heatley (not him, just another guy of similar ability who is available in a couple of years).

Remember, in 1994, our forwards weren't great. The second line was Matteau - Tikkanen - Larmer. Not horrible, but hardly a great line. The third line was Gilbert - MacTavish - Noonan. Again, not bad, but nothing spectacular.

What helped us was the spectacular goaltending we got from Richter and the amazing defensive corps. The one thing that the Rangers had that was significantly better than anyone else was defense. The perfect #1, the perfect offensive defenseman, the perfect defensive defenseman, the perfect veteran with Cup-winning experience. That was our top 4. And the next 3 (Wells, Lidster, Karpovtsev) were also very good for the job that was assigned to them.

Defensemen are key. Let's hold off on trading them.
While I agree that defense is an important piece to the cup, you are really selling the forwards short on the 1994 team.

The first line was Graves-Messier-Anderson and the second line was Matteau-Kovalev-Larmer. That's a pretty solid top 6. Tikkanen and MacTavish helped to round out the bottom 6. Damn good forwards if you ask me.

Forwards are equally as important to defensemen, and sometimes moreso, depending on the team. Look at Pittsburgh last year - Gonchar, Letang, Scuderi, Gill, Orpik, etc. A solid defense but pales in comparison to Detroit. It was really the forwards, and Fleury, who came through for Pitt.

A better example may be the 2006 Carolina team. Their defense included Ward, Hedican, Wesley, Kaberle, Commodore, Wallin. Talk about a no-name defense.

I like our defensemen, but it's pretty clear that scoring is a weakness on this team and we can certainly use some more skilled forwards in the system. Because of our defensive depth, it wouldn't surprise me if some of our defensemen are eventually traded away.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote