View Single Post
Old
11-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Orange

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
To debate the definition of revenue is pointless and ridiculous.
No it's not. Not debating it is pointless and ridiculous. The current impasse has a lot to do with the two parties not agreeing on what constitutes the current owner's related revenues.

Quote:
There is only one definition of true revenue, and to debate otherwise is redundant.
Not quite. As per the NHLPA, parking lots revenues around a stadium should count in the equation. Obviously if someone else than the team owner owned the parking lot it could not be part of the equation, so why consider it if it's part of an owner's portfolio. IMO, only revenues from direct hockey operations should count. The NHLPA would not agree.

Both parties will have to debate the definition of revenues. All further negotiations should take place on agreed upon definitions. Not doing so will make the debate redundant because they'll always come back to what they consider part of the revenues and what's not.

Quote:
The owners are not responsible for the definition at all, [..]
And I never said they were. But I know how they define revenues ... now let's hear how the players define it !

Quote:
[...] they're responsible for the manipulation of people (such as yourself) into believing that you can pick and choose what is part of your revenue.

Yeah, I'm clearly incapable of independent reasoning ! Comments like these make people lose their credibility.

Quote:
Quite similarly to when they do end up getting a cap put into the league, they'll be the ones twisting the meaning of "salary" to be able to pay a player more, and remain under the cap.
This is a possibility I'm not oblivious to. That's why it would be in the best interest of the small markets to clearly define what salary is in the CBA, to restrict the possible bending of the rules by richer teams.