View Single Post
Old
11-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Charge_Seven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
It's funny how the most rabid pro-NHLPA people are fans of big teams such as Leafs, Flyers and Rangers. I can understand that you don't want to give away the only advantage they have over smaller teams that allows them to patch up the mistakes done by horrible managing (there are exceptions like Flyers) but they should look at the bigger picture. Oh and $50M softcap is about the same as doing nothing, effects are marginal and the gap between biggest and smallest payrolls will be around $40M or 100%.
Of course fans of teams that have been consistently successful in the money making aspect of the game are going to want their team to continue to use their money. There's absolutely no question that's going to be the case. Heck, we're the ones who gave them the money in the first place by supporting them, why would I want to see that money go elsewhere?

However, if you believe that once the Leafs aren't allowed to pay higher than other teams that no players will sign there, then you are sadly mistaken. The Leafs will then be able to draw more heavily on the fact that they are one of the largest fan bases in the hockey world, and along with the Canadiens, and other beloved hockey franchises pick up marquis free agents on the basis of being the players childhood team, and the team they dreamed of playing with all along. (clearly I'm not saying in every scenario) however we all know it would happen more if players aren't paid ridiculous ammounts of money as they are now.