Thread: Tom KÜHNHACKL
View Single Post
Old
10-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Burgs

vCash: 500
Watched Kühnhackl yesterday when Landshut was playing at Crimmitschau. Now he didn't get that much ice time because Landshut was coming in with a 1-5 record and probably wanted to push their veterans and foreigners but anyway, here's what I saw:

His listed size of 6'2" and 168 lbs seems about right, he looked pretty tall (very upright skating style) and thin out there. Definitely a lanky kid but he's still only 17 so he has time to fill out. With his dad's genes, he should easily get to 6'3" and 190-200 lbs. Didn't initiate much contact but did not shy away from it either. One time he took a hard hit into the boards that sent his helmet flying, didn't faze him at all.

What struck me was how confident and well-rounded he played against grown men, at his age. He didn't get to show off his speed much but his initial quickness is good, his hands are very good, and he seems to have very good awareness and decision-making. Knows where to be in his own zone as well. His head was always up and "on a swivel". That's stuff many German forwards don't EVER learn so I was impressed.

He lined up at LW but would help his team all over the ice. Went to the net a lot, not only in front but also behind it. He put up 2 assists (his first points of the season) by going behind the net, using his reach and quick reaction to pounce on loose pucks and dish them to the crease for tap-in goals.

Kühnhackl would tear up the German juniors and be a regular scorer in the 3rd tier Oberliga, at 17 in the Bundesliga he has a hard time getting productive minutes but he looked pretty good. Getting tons of ice time with Windsor couldn't have hurt but this kid's definitely going to get drafted next June either way.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote