View Single Post
Old
11-22-2004, 02:28 PM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Every time the Flyers would play with strict defensive positioning, the lost all those games. However, when they played an offensively agressive game, they won.
Sorry, I would say that they played the same way all year round. Hitch is known for being a "defense first" type of coach and I doubt he will change his style now. You have to like at what he has done with this team. His first year here the Flyers were eliminated in Round 2. This year, we almost made it to the Finals. It's basically the same team with the exception of Knuble & Stevenson, there is no reason to change now. Really, Stevenson played the same way in NJ.

I think the Flyers strength comes from a strong forecheck. They create offense from their defense. That was shown in the playoffs. The huge gaffe McCabe had in game 5 was because of Rex's pressure on the puck carrier. You have a guy like Primeau coming on you, you tend to make a mistake. How many times did he smash guys up against the boards in the playoffs? A lot! Same with JR. I remember him nailing Cory Sarich against the boards in Game 4 or 5, I forget. When the Flyers play like that, they create their own offense from defense. Now we will be faster with a Knuble and some of the young guys who may make the team. We will stay with what got us as far as we went last year.

If ain't broke, don't fix it.