View Single Post
10-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
You are 5'8, you are not a midget. Your height has nothing to do with what type of face protection you should wear.

Im 6'2 and have been hit in the face with pucks and been highsticked numerous times. You think the 1/2 foot i have on you makes a difference?
Im 6'3 and a high stick that hits you or me in the shoulder hits a 5'8 guy in the facial area. I think that was his point. I skated free face for a couple of years until I took a deflected puck and nine stitches to my upper lip. Fortunately, I didnt lose any teeth. To protect my stitches, I put on a cage and the very next week after I was hip checked, I fell forward onto the guy that checked me and my cage hit his skate blade square. Without a cage or just having a visor, I would have been split like an elephant, doing god knows what damage to my chin, mouth, and nose. For me, that reaffirmed that I will never play again without a cage. And the whole losing teeth thing from a cage generally seems to be from people wearing their cages WAY too loose around the chin either for comfort or cause it "looks cool."

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote