View Single Post
Old
10-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Subban is not even an option to me this season unless another 2 d-men go down.

I wouldnt rush this guy as he's still very raw defensively. Its not worth the risk of damaging him in the long term as I consider him the habs best prospect.

as bad as mab is defensively (or any other veteran that gainey looks at), he wont be nearly as mistake prone and overwhelmed as pk would be. You are essentially putting him directly into the fire from the chl to the nhl. I wouldn't recommend that route of development for most d-men.

One step at a time for pk, use the depth on defense to let subban develop at his own pace. The jump from chl to ahl is big enough for a d-man.
You only highlighted the first part of my message there you sneaky person. In the second part, I've mentioned Weber and Carle as well.

I disagree about the Subban theory as we've seen plenty of young guys play in the NHL in recent years and doing quite well. Look in Toronto with Schenn or in Buffalo last night in Tyler Myers (Subban was supperior to Myers at the WJC, let's not forget). There are plenty of other examples showing the same. It seems like only in Montreal do we seem to want to over-protect our young players. If he's the best candidate, call him up and see how he responds. If it doesn't work, send him down and call up someone else.

I hate seeing a veteran player make big mistakes as it irritates me to no end. That's why I hated seeing Huet allowing the weak goals as I preferred seeing a rookie like Price or Halak do that. Same goes for Bergeron, Chelios, Brisebois or Dandenault. Give the young guys a chance, give them the opportunity and the experience and maybe, just maybe, one of them will take the opportunity and run with it, surprising even the pundits.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote