View Single Post
Old
10-05-2009, 03:20 PM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Although I'm not necessarily a supporter of trading Asham I do acknowledge that it's a good option. Here's why:

-Due to an excess of deserving forwards he's been a healthy scratch. The only foreseeable way that he'll get playing time is by rotating in and out of the lineup with Powe (personally I think Asham would be the better choice over Powe). When teams have an excessive amount of players they usually either send them to the minors or trade them to a place where the player will get to play.

-He's on the last year of his contract and he's unlikely to be re-signed so why carry him with us this year if he's not going to be on the roster full-time?

-It would free up contract and cap space while fetching something in return all for a player that we don't need anymore. I'd imagine Asham could fetch at least a second and we're short on picks so why not?
The question is if the benefit of salary cap space (which is really the only benefit to the team that you listed) outweighs the importance of having 13 good NHL forwards available. Injuries always happen and in the case that a Gagne or Briere goes down even for a few games we would be sorry that we don't have Asham around.

Asham is not going to return a 2nd... and the cap space we gain from dealing him is worth nothing if we don't do something with it. If we moved him the only need we would have to fill would be the one we just created by trading Asham.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote