View Single Post
Old
10-05-2009, 05:59 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
Have you ever tried the Under Armour ones, are you just talking out of your ass? I have a few of the RBK ones, as it was hard to find Under Armour around where I live, so I used RBK ones. They work pretty well, then I got a long sleeve Under Armour, which works FAR better. It keeps me far warmer, drier, and I love the tighter compression fit. UA is TOTALLY worth the extra money if you have it, it has far better performance.
They're good shirts, I'll give you that. But the best I've tried was better then UA- It's a brand called Prana, and it's built for rock climbers. You can, and I have, worn that sucker for two weeks straight without it staying damp. It feels dry and fresh every morning.

Not a compression fit like I like for hockey though, so I don't use it for that.

As for UA, let me give you an example. If you visit one of their outlet stores, you will see two prices on the same shirt- $20 and $45. The difference is Color. They admit to pricing the core colors- black, gray, navy and white at much higher prices there because people buy those colors more. They can't discount them. But they sell the other shirts according to the basic retail formula- 50%ish over cost. Standard retail markup. They're really not any better, but because you pay $45 for it, you expect it to be better and you get a mental effect that makes it seem better similar to a placebo effect.

UA is marketing. And I don't begrudge them that- it works, and they did innovate a lot of the stuff. But other companies have gotten into the act and managed to replicate it and are selling it for prices that are closer to the actual cost.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote