View Single Post
Old
09-19-2003, 06:42 PM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
The Oilers don't win playing defensive hockey because of the roster setup and that's not gonna change with one deal. Nor should it change. In fact, when the Oilers did play defensive hockey last year, was when they were trying to sit on leads, and we all know how well that went.............If we see less offence and more defence, I really don't think we're winning more games, and will ESPECIALLY not go anywhere in the playoffs, which is the other place we try to play defensively every year, and again, we all know how that goes.
Well, I don't know if that is exactly true.

Two years ago, the Oilers were second in the league as a DEFENSIVE club second only to Colorado that year. The Oilers have shown success at playing a suffocating defensive style. There is nowhere that says that in a defensive-minded system, you can't forecheck. The Oilers do have a lot of team speed... but a lot of that can be used on the counterattack as well.

I know that good old firewagon hockey is what the fans would like to see.... but the Oilers as a team don't have the guns that some of the bigger teams do. IMO, I don't think they can play that kind of system against those teams. The only way to win is to play a good defensive system... Not as fun but a lot more effective.