View Single Post
Old
11-23-2004, 10:46 PM
mudcrutch79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Benjamin
Maybe, but $250,000 is $250,000. A later round draft pick isn't worth $250,000. I figure Lowe was looking ahead and thinking,

"If I pay him enough to retain his rights, I just get myself into a problem next June. I don't want to qualify him at the league ALS. That would make him a free agent when I don't and I don't get compensated. This way, he walks, Columbus makes a mistake and I get a second rounder. Could I get a second rounder next spring when everyone knows I don't want to qualify him?"

"Plus he is a popular player and most fans won't understand why I am doing this. I may as well take the hit for being stupid now as opposed to when I don't qualify him next June. And it is $250,000."

Tom
I'm not sure what you mean by "he walks, Columbus makes a mistake and I get a second rounder." There's no compensation for Group V Free Agents. I don't know the chances of a second rounder panning out-and a second round pick seems likely to me in a trade, but if it pans out, I think you'll make quite a healthy return on your investment, in terms of paying the guy less than you'd have to pay a comparable player during the early days of his career. Really, it all depends on the money saved by having a player without arbitration or free agency rights * the possibility the player turns out versus the 250K. It seems reasonable to me-maybe Lowe crunched the numbers, but I don't think so, given some of the salaries in Edmonton.