View Single Post
Old
10-08-2009, 07:05 AM
overpass

vCash: 500
RW George Armstrong

Joe Pelletier:
Quote:
He became a very reliable two way player. He was always dependable in his own zone and patrolled his wing with great efficiency, and there are few players who could work the walls and corners with the effectiveness of Armstrong. Offensively he contributed steady though never mind boggling statistics, but was always dangerous when he controlled the puck close to the net.
Scored 15 goals, 19 assists, and 34 points in 36 playoff games during Toronto's three consecutive Cup-winning seasons from 1962 to 1964.

Conn Smythe: "The best captain, as a captain, the Leafs ever had."

Marcel Pronovost: “He was the best captain I ever played with. His ability to take the pressure off the team was incredible.”

Bob Pulford about Armstrong in 1967: "He was the missing ingredient who made that team come together. That championship doesn't happen without George."

Pelletier said that Armstrong didn't possess a great shot. Other sources suggest that Armstrong's shot was a strength of his. King Clancy said about Armstrong in 1952: "This kid's got everything. He has size, speed, and he can shoot 'em into the net better that any hockey player I've known in a long time. I'll be surprised if he doesn't become a superstar." A 1955 article from the Toronto Star quotes Babe Dye on Armstrong: "I'm positive that George Armstrong could become a 20-goal man if he'd fire after stickhandling past one man in the other team's zone. Instead, "The Chief" tries to deke two or three rivals...If George would fire that puck on goal, he'd light the lamp plenty because he has a good shot...Army is the one who appears to be wasting the most potential."

Of course, Armstrong went on to meet his potential, but he was not an unskilled hockey player.

Last edited by overpass: 10-08-2009 at 09:01 AM.