View Single Post
Old
11-25-2004, 10:14 PM
BCCHL inactive

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad
Conversely, one of the things that always bothered me was the guys who complained they didn't make rep teams or get a regular shift on them because of 'politics' (not suggesting your complaints are unwarranted, Van, just going on my own experience in Kelowna.) A couple of high school friends of mine used to ***** about the coach's son that always made rep teams 'even though everybody knows he doesn't deserve it.' The kid they were talking about was Jason Ruff, who somehow managed a 136-point season in the WHL and a short NHL career in spite of that lack of ability.
For sure. Both situations happen often.

What happened up here as I moved through minor hockey, is that I was the last cut off the Peewee AAA team when I was 12. I got a lot of support from other parents, but to no avail. The reasoning I was given was that I needed to work on backwards skating. That was it. I guess it was too hard for Paul Brown's dad (who was the coach who got fired...yes, fired from peewee rep hockey 3 weeks later) to help me skate better backwards.

Where my biggest problem is, was for the next few years up until Midget rep. It seemed automatic that if you hadn't played with the team since Peewee, you got your standard 3 tryout ice times and then you were cut, regardless of how good (or bad) you did.