View Single Post
Old
10-12-2009, 01:39 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Santorelli is here to score goals and create offense. If he is not getting results and not generating consistent opportunities for his linemates to do so, he is the one that'll be shuffled...

When Dumont returns, if Jones clicks with Wilson and Ward, then I think Santorelli might be shuffled out of the lineup. However, if Jones is still not showing a consistent work ethic, then I think you could see Hornqvist slotted with Legwand and Erat and Santorelli with Wilson and Ward.

It will definitely be interesting to see how we continue to reshape the roster as we get healthy. A lot of battles within the team for playing time and that can only be a good thing...
Interesting. In a sense I understand and agree. However you don't put anyone on the roster to "score goals and create offense" only to give them primary shut down responsibilities. In that sense I agree with you (which is why I said that if the second line's shut down role is permanent then Santorelli doesn't help that line, nor Santorelli himself).

Not that I'm comparing Sullivan and Dumont to Santorelli in terms of results, but they are all offense-first type players. You wouldn't charge Sullivan and Dumont with the task of shutting down the opposition's top line, nor should you do so with Santorelli. That said, shutting down the opposition's top line probably shouldn't be the role of the second line either.

The gist of my original response was the apparent role reversal for the second line from camp/preseason to regular season and its effects/results. I don't know if that role reversal is just my perception (although Trotz's comments seem to support my perception), or is an effort to compensate for injuries.

Ultimately, if the second line is going to be shut down line, then Santorelli is not the right player for that line. That said, expecting significant production from a second line operating in a shut down capacity seems to be foolish.

I suspect that Trotz's comments regarding the second line's defensive focus indicates that it isn't a permanent role and that he give more freedom to that line.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote