View Single Post
Old
10-12-2009, 01:54 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
I wasn't referring to if it is fair value or not, I was only talking about the cap space that would be cleared (i.e. you would free up Versteeg and Ladd's combined cap hits). I wouldn't be surprised at all if Volchie were to re-sign with the Hawks if he were traded there. As long as you treat him well (and I have no reason to think that they won't), he likely would resign there. He is a heart and soul guy, and very loyal. I'd love to have him stay a Sen, but if there is no way to sign him here, you could certainly do a lot worse than A-Train. He's the kind of player that you have to see play on a regular basis to get a full grip on just how valuable he is.

As a Sens fan, I'd love to get him locked up to a good deal (hometown discount) for say 4 years at 2.5-3 mill per, but if not, I'd reluctantly trade him for some depth at forward, either a young NHL-ready guy, or a very good prospect.
By now the 'Hawks pending salary-cap crunch FOR NEXT SEASON is well-known, so it goes without saying that signing Volchenkov is not an option. The $$$'s simply won't be there.

The difference between a Hawks fan and a non-Hawks fan can be seen in one's opinions about our # 4 d-man. Everyone knows about Keith-Seabrook-Campbell. I'm comfortable with Hjalmarsson at #4 and would not contemplate trading assets or adding to payroll to replace him at that position. He's fine.

I've crunched the numbers and it looks like the Hawks will have to part with three of their $3 million players (Versteeg, Barker, Byfuglien, Bolland, Sharp). Although Barker and Byfuglien have nice components to their games, (Barker on the PP, Byfuglien a Holmstrom-esque/Franzen-esque presence in front of the net) Sharp is a HOCKEY PLAYER in all aspects of the game, sort of like a Mike Fisher without the offensive disappointment, and I would think of him as untouchable.

Versteeg, Barker, etc., will be traded for young NHL players with low cap hits and/or
picks/prospects to fill out the bottom-rung of the roster with low salaries. I don't see them being traded for expensive pending UFA's like Volchenkov.

Perhaps Ottawa and Chicago are not good trading partners.

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote