View Single Post
Old
11-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Marconius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytown9321
How would new stars be created in half a year? The NHL has had approximatley zero players develop into supertars the last 10 years. If they can't do it with superstar level players, how can they do it with replacement players? Would a cap and replacement players automatically make Bettman a marketing genius?

Michael Jordan is probably the most famous athlete of all time, but he didn't acheive that just becuase of his basketball ability. He ahd a great marketing machine in the NBA and Nike behind him. The NHL nor Gary Bettman have never shown a tenth of that ability to market their players.
What exactly is a star? A star is someone who's game is at a level above his peers, in my opinion. If the league fills with replacement players, certainly there will be some who step above and beyond the rest. These will be the new stars.

If you are using superstars in the sense of marketing, well then I agree with you, the NHL will not create any more marketable personalities. But really, I don't think the NHL has ever created a marketable personality. The games most famous 'stars' would be hard pressed to be recognized by the populace at large. I don't watch the NBA, but I know what Lebron James looks like. If you ask a non-NHL watching NBA fan what Sakic or Pronger looks like, I don't they'll have an idea.