View Single Post
Old
11-26-2004, 06:38 PM
hockeytown9321

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
I think extropolating the effects of using replacement players/missing full year from the last NHL strike is more valid then comparing it to the MBL or NFL strikes.

As has oft been mentioned on these boards, the NBA & MBL are in a completely different position then the NHL. I guess what I'm saying is that the NFl's 1987 situation is so far removed from the NHL's present situation (in terms of initial fan support/tv contracts/basic popularity) that one can not really make any kind of prediction based on how the NFL situation worked out.
You can't look at the last NHL lockout when talking about replacement players becuase they weren't used. Talking about missing half a year is so much different than missing a full season(or two) and using replacement players. The NFL in 1987 is the only major pro psort to try using them, and it was a disaster. Sure, the NFL was in a completely different posisition than the NHL is now. It was and is the most popular sport in America. How can the NHL expect to do any better than they did?