View Single Post
Old
10-13-2009, 10:38 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
I'd NEVER use a debit card online... debit cards don't have the same fraud protections that credit cards do, and once the money's out of your account - the bank really generally doesn't care to put it back there.

At least a CC company provides you with some purchase protection and (admittedly with a fair bit of paperwork), will be willing to stop payments easier than the bank will.

I can understand where he's coming from, and while I make a fair bit of purchases online - I think some things I'd prefer anyway to go into a brick and mortar store and just have a feel for what it is I'm going to buy.
And on the other hand, you can just close down the account or get a new card and invalidate the old one much more easily.

And if you get one backed by visa or mastercard, the protections are there. They're not backed up by law as they are on credit cards, but companies have very similar policies about liability, at least for purchases of over $50.

They're not a good idea for big purchases, but for a $100 hockey stick they would be fine.

As for preferring brick and mortar, I hear ya. I prefer it too. Seeing what you're getting is a great thing. But sometimes the price difference is too big, or some items may not be available locally.

It's worth a look anyway. Being Canadian he may have some issues buying from US based retailers, but weighing options is a good thing.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote