View Single Post
Old
10-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
When they waive Sopel...we should snap him up. Sopel is way better than half our defence. Plus at the deadline we should consider Couture or whoever for Sharp, especially if Clowe keeps stinking it up. Sharp is very good and can do everything. Plus this would knock the Hawks off the "favorites" block and definitely make the Sharkies very tough to beat.
They're not going to make any of these moves until the off-season. Picking up Sopel would be detrimental to the Sharks as it is when they will have everyone on defense under contract next year except for Rob Blake. 2.3 for Sopel is a worse contract than the 1.7 for Huskins. He may be better than Huskins but past that he's not much to look at.

As for Sharp, he's not going to get moved I don't think. They will have seven forwards making 3 million or more once Toews and Kane re-sign. Of those, the least productive guys would be Versteeg, Byfuglien, and Bolland. Versteeg and Bolland just started their new contracts this year so I think the odd-man out right now is Dustin Byfuglien. He's going to have to have a major breakout season while the other two don't produce at a similar level to justify keeping him over anyone else.

To me, Dustin Byfuglien will be the one shopped if they can't find takers and replacements for Campbell and Huet. Honestly, I don't think they can move either because of their salary and their importance to the Hawks. Byfuglien would be the next likeliest candidate after that.

And for the Sharks in that scenario, I really wouldn't mind Byfuglien at 3 mil if they can move Clowe to the east in a 3-way trade. It would be a long shot mostly because there really wouldn't be a need for Chicago to involve the Sharks in such a deal.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote