Old
11-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Benjamin
This isn't right, although you are correct about the wage in the second year of the contract. First, Patrick did not have to take him to arbitration to get him to take a $500,000 pay cut. If he offered it on a one year deal, Gandler obviously would have taken it. Second, if he knew what he was doing, there was no need to opt for the two year arbitration award.
It wouldn't have been possible for Patrick to play it like he was taken advantage of by the evil NHLPA and unfair CBA. If Patrick qualified Kasper below his previous salary he'd automatically become an UFA. The Pens qualifying offer was $1.6 million. Patrick didn't take anyone to arbitration. That's a players perogative. Why didn't Patrick offer Kasper a salary below the ALS after he rejected the qualifying offer? I think it's obvious that if he did that, the blame for losing Kasparaitis would fall on his shoulders.

Quote:
He thought that Kasparaitis would be bound to the Penguins for the second year of the two year contract even though after the first year he had the 10 years in and was under the league ALS. He forgot about the clause that allows the player to void the second year of an arbitration award if he qualified as a Group V after the first year.

Third, right up until the trade deadline that year, Patrick was trying to claim that Kasparaitis was not going to become an unrestricted free agent. There was talk of another arbitration hearing tio determine his status.

Here's a link to a story from March 2002.

Tom
That's what Patrick would like everyone to believe. That he was victimized by an unfair system. I'm surprised that a staunch advocate for players such as yourself fell for it. I can understand the the media swallowing it hook, line, and sinker. Patrick is one of the sharpest GM's in the game. He knew exactly what he was doing. There's no secret, special clause that Patrick could have overlooked. It's all stated clearly.