Old
09-20-2003, 08:32 AM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
I don't know much about Lang...

How old is Lang?

Are his skills going to decline over the next few years?

If Lang doesn't work out, does he have any trade value except for the salary dumping kind?

Would Washington even be interested in Brisebois for two years?

If Lang is any good, wouldn't the Caps be able to trade him for a better and cheaper player than Brisebois?

If we do get Lang, can we find takers for one of Perrault or Ribeiro to free-up space?

Thanks in advance,
All-Star
Lang is 32. His skills will likely decline eventually, but he's in his prime right now. I wouldn't expect them to decline for a few more years. He's making $5M, so that alone means he doesn't have much trade value given the fact that teams have tight wallets these days.

I think Washington might be interested in Brisebois for Lang since they would save $7M in total over the next 3 years and because they need the defensive help. Washington also has Zubrus, Nylander, Halpern, Kip Miller, and Sutherby who all play center, so Lang is not needed down there.

Lang is good. He consistently puts up good numbers. He's a slightly better version than Stumpel. He's big (6'2, 225lbs), but is fairly soft. Very good playmaker, don't look at his point totals (22 goals and 69 points last year) and think he got them because of Jagr. He didn't play with Jagr in Washington or in Pittsburgh other than the PP for a large chunk of the season. Nylander and Zubrus were the players that centered Jagr's line for the majority of last season that I saw.

Lang gives Montreal the much needed size the team has needed down the middle, he is not poor defensively, while he is a bit soft -- he'd be a huge upgrade over Perreault.

It's a gamble and depends on Montreal's financial situation. The team would be dramatically improved, and a weakness fulfilled, but do they want to pick up $7M over the next 3 years? I would assume they wouldn't, and that's why it's unlikely to happen.