View Single Post
Old
09-20-2003, 10:22 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMetal
Turgeon did get 96 points with the Habs but that was in the 1995-96 season. You simply cannot compare 1995-96 stats to any of 2000 + season right now. It was another era of hockey while the current era is a more defensive oriented type of play. Heck, in 1995-96 Lemieux led the league with161 points and over 10+ players had 100 + points season. Today, you'd be even lucky to see 4-5 players break the 100 pts mark.

And yes, we know that Turgeon had a 58 goals season... 11 years ago. Do I need to remind that Juneau had 102 in his rookie season ? Numbers were all inflated like this back then.

Koivu's 71 points this season is actually pretty good, considering the current defensive hockey era we are in and that he had no real go to winger last season, except when Zednik was on the first line before being moved to the 2nd.

Turgeon was great, i'll give you that. But just because he was, does not mean he still is and that he could bench his own marks.

Nobody wants to touch Turgeon's contract with the CBA looming and I can almost assure that the Stars will not even protect him. Same can be said with Brisebois but I doubt that Stars would really need a defenseman like Brisebois, they already have two great Powerplay Quarterbacks in Zubov and Numminen and his offense is the only good thing Brisebois has going for him.
When was Turgeon great? Every team he's ever been on has eventually had to try and unload him and were glad to be done with him. What yo usaid about stats, you can't compare. He's a gutless wonder, just like our pal Breezy.