Thread: Rumor: Barker to Montreal?
View Single Post
Old
10-19-2009, 12:23 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
What happens when Hossa is ready to play? Do the Hawks have to clear salary to fit Hossa's salary in under the cap before he can be activated?

Something similar to the Flyer's situation last season when Briere was ready to play..I seem to recall that Briere couldn't be activated to play because his salary would have put the Flyers over the cap and they had to clear salary first to fit Briere in..I assume the Hawks will be in a similar situation this year with Hossa?

With some key RFA's coming up for raises this summer and the Hawks already with cap issues some players will have to be moved for prospects or picks to keep their young core together it looks like..
They are $5 million over right now with Hossa on the IR, once he comes back that is the salary putting them over again and he is due back in late November or early December. You also have to look at the injuries to Eager and Burish (Burish out 6 months and Eager day-to-day), that is 1.5 million combined in cap space as well.

The Hawks are so pressed for cap that they are sending Skille down to Rockford in the AHL after every game to save the minimum on salary when he is up.

How people think that the Hawks are in a position of power to trade and get what they want really puzzles me because this team is hard pressed to get even a little fair value in picks or prospects.

If Gainey can do it he maybe able to save his team in a multi player trade without selling the farm or taking away too much from his own club.

Let's face it, the Hawks are going to want to get these players in the East because it could haunt them in the end if they are in the West.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote