View Single Post
Old
10-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Jiggernaut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalHabsFan View Post
I understand what you're saying, however, I'd rather take the chance of keeping him and seeing him bust and lose out on a potential trade. We're not talking about a Higgins-type of player. It's someone who can be your team's go-to player. You keep him, it's that simple. Let's say he has 50/50 chance of fulfilling his full potential (or bust), I still wouldn't want to trade him. Do you really want to take the risk of seeing him score 50 goals, and become a Habs killer (John Leclaire for example) for many years to come?

If we can land and sign (long-term) a proven star, then I'll be fine with trading Akost, but it's never gonna happen. Players like Akost always has the risk of not panning out, and other teams know that, so we are not going to get fair value back in return. I'm not okay with just getting something "valuable" in return, such as a borderline 2nd liner or 3rd line defensive player. We want to be a great team, and not an average team. To be great, you need to take risks, and I hope keeping Akost is one of the risks that the Habs are willing to take.
I completely understand on what you're saying, and agree to it in most parts. My only issue with all this is the whole contact status as I mentioned, as we live in a salary cap world now.

I have no issues with paying the guy his current salary, and paying him more after next season if he continues to show improvement in his output. Granted there are other factors that can be considered when we're talking about his improvement, but the reality is, we're expecting offensive output from this kid.

He regressed in his output last year, has gotten off to a slow start this year, but is finally showing signs of waking up. When his RFA contract is due after next season, he will likely see an increase in his salary, even if he manages to keep his numbers similar. Or worse, he can go to arbitration meaning we only have one year left until he would most likely bolt as an UFA.

So the question is, if he doesn't start to show offensice improvement over this season or next, do you lock him up to another 3 year deal which will likely be in the 3.5-4 million per year range? Or do you go to arbitration, giving him one more year to step it up, thus making him untradable and pretty much un-resignable, meaning you'll lose him for nothing the following off-season?

If A Kost does not break the 30 goal plateau by the end of next season, I guarantee you he will be gone. Still as an RFA he will have some value. We will not be paying that kind of money for a mid 20 goal scorer. Mid 20 goal scorers are a dime a dozen, and can be filled by young players on affordable contracts.

Hey, I see what you see, and his upside is great. I don't want to see him become the next Leclair. I dispised that trade when it happened. However, now it's his potential vs output in regards to cap hit. And it's is nearing it's max.

I truly hope he hits 30+ this year, and leaves no doubt he'll be around for many years. But if he doesn't do it this year or next....

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote