Thread: Value of: Ryan McDonagh to the Habs
View Single Post
Old
10-24-2009, 11:44 AM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
I haven't watched Gomez play at all this season, and will get a first look tonight when the Rangers play the Habs, but looking at his stats, it doesn't seem like is is performing that well (Stats do not mean everything ofcoarse, just going by his numbers so far). He has 2 goals and 3 assists for 5 pts in 9 games, with no power-play points and is a +1. He is on pace for 18 goals and 27 assists for 45pts. Last season on the offensively challenged Rangers he had 16 goals and 42 assists for 58pts.

Just going on Stats, he hasn't been Montreal's best player so far this season. I'm sure he gives his all night in and night out like he did with the Rangers and that definitely raises his value, but that value has not helped the Habs turn out some more W's, as they are 4 and 5. The season is still young though and hopefully he puts it all together to be your teams best player. He was one of my favorite players when he was on the Rangers because of his heart and determination, even though he was not living up to his $7 million/ year contract. It's not his fault he got that contract, it's Glen Sather's for signing him to it. Can't fault a player for taking the most money offered to him.

As for the trade, I was shocked when it went down. Now that the season started, the Rangers are off to a pretty good start at a 7 and 3 record. Higgins hasn't found the back of the net yet and only has 2 pts so far. McDonagh is off to a good start in the first few games in college, with 3 pts in 3 games I believe and playing well defensively. I see him developing into a very good 3-4 guy, with a lesser chance of becoming a #1 D-man. We'll see how he transitions to pro hockey from the NCAA in a year or two. He's still probably at least 3 years away from cracking an NHL roster, which is fine for the Rangers as they have extreme defensive depth with Staal, Girardi, MDZ, Gilroy, Sangs, Sauer, Kundtrek, Heikkenan (I can't spell his name for the life of me).

The only reason why I think they Rangers won the trade big time is because of the fact that they got rid of Gomez's salary. It allowed the Rangers to sign Gaborik, who has been on fire so far this season. It would have been nice to have Gomez centering Gaborik, because I think both players would thrive with each other, but there is no way the Rangers could have afforded both.

Now for what it would take for Montreal (Or any team for that matter) to acquire McDonagh, it would have to be for a scoring winger or playmaking center, imo. Now he would not net a scoring winginer or playmaking center by himself, but part of a package. I don't see the Rangers making any moves until the trade deadline, though. They are playing pretty well as a team right now and no move is really needed, except to possibly add a veteran 7th d-man.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote