View Single Post
Old
10-26-2009, 01:30 AM
thefifthsedin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shadows View Post
Did you also note the fact that Mario Lemieux was right in front of him as best Pker?

A few coaches favor using speedy and shifty offensive forwards on the penalty kill to generate offense from shorthanded play. He was not there for his defense. He was there to score goals.

It does nothing to dispel the fact that Bure did figure 8's by his blueline 5 on 5 waiting for breakout passes, essentially leaving his team shorthanded so he could go on breakaway attempts. That is where his reputation comes from and that is bang on.
ok, i know he wasn't there to be a defensive first guy, that's why i said lol at it, but the fact is he didn't cheat on the defender in vancouver to the same extent as he did later on in florida ... he didn't do that when he went straight through ray bourque and another bruin defender [no. 25, possibly paul stanton] to score that goal vs boston for example

this is from a toronto star article from may 19, 1994, found on on the pbfc site http://www.pbfc.org/Oldnews/may94/may94.html

it's about the western conference finals between vancouver and toronto [vancouver won that series 4-1]

Also, with the Canucks defending their one-goal lead in the final minute against a Leaf team that had pulled its goalie, there was Bure on the ice in a defensive posture, hounding centre Doug Gilmour. "I don't always use him that way," Quinn said with a smile. "It was just a hunch tonight. He's done it from time to time. I thought quickness was going to be an element, and he did get the puck a couple of times."

thefifthsedin* is offline   Reply With Quote