View Single Post
Old
12-03-2004, 02:14 AM
bland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
You're right on both counts, the original deal is a steal, and my proposal is closer in value. I have two issues with the original proposal:
- It includes trading away all wingers; while our depth on the wings is good, I don't want to make it a weakness.
- To me, Brown has slightly higher value than Grebeshkov. If I'm not dealing Brown, then I figure to add the value of Cammalleri, whose value is higher than both Kanko and Flinn, to offset the difference and make it more realistic.

The problem with dealing away Cammalleri is that he can play at Center, which is definitely one of our weakest points. Perhaps a better proposal would include something like Petiot (a stay at home defenseman), Pushkarev (since Detroit was apparently so high on him), and Kanko for Datsyuk.

Better trade? Worse trade? Higher value, lower value?
The Kings' system is loaded at the borderline-first / most likely 2nd line winger spots: Brown, Tukonen, Tambellini, Pushkarev, Cammalleri (playing well at center in the AHL but is probably better suited on the wing in the NHL), and Barney (if he can ever stay healthy). Karlsson, Kanko and Hogeboom are quality third-line material. Frolov is a top-liner for certain, but there is no other "can't miss" offensive prospect in that group.

Top-four defensmen are relatively strong with Grebeshkov, Gleason, Petiot and Baier, but beyond that, the cupboard is pretty bare.

Even if Boyle pans out it will be at least three years down the line. Lehoux is playing exceptionally well this year and may have finally realized what it is going to take to reach his potential. Steckel needs a good swift kick in the ***, and by then he may not even be offered more than just enough to make sure the Kings get compensation for him.

The center ice position is horrible in LA: Conroy, Armstrong, Belanger, Pirnes and possibly Avery. Lehoux may be an answer, but the Kings desperately need a playmaking center who can make those marginal offensive wingers more effective AND a big, physical center who can play well in all three zones.

I'm sure any deal for Datsyuk would have to involve either Brown/Tukonen and either Grebeshkov or Gleason, but that would be creating another position of weakness, so I can't see any deal between these teams. I'd offer Pushkarev, Grebeshkov and a 2nd for Datsyuk and Kronwall just to see Holland's response, but I'm sure he'd ask for a helluva lot more.