View Single Post
10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Dark Shadows
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Interesting to see Stevens in 3rd place for "best defensive defensemen" in 92-93. I think we generally assume he was a big hitter who didn't really focus on his defensive play until at least 93-94, but the coaches seem to think that wasn't the case.

Also interesting to see Bure on the list of best penalty killers.
He was far more raw defensively back in the 80's and early 90's, although still very good. His defensive game did not hit its real peaks until he focused entirely on that aspect of his game. He also became MUCH better at judging when he could throw those big open ice hits without going out of position(Larry Robinson had a bit to do with that)

I seem to remember us having a discussion on whether he should have beaten Bourque for the Norris in 94 and a few claiming Bourque won only by "Reputation" points, and that Stevens was superior on both ends of the ice. The coaches 94 poll seems to nullify that, with Bourque winning top defensive defenseman honors by double that of the next player(Chelios), and second best Offensive defenseman honors(Only 1 point away from 1st Leetch).

Bure winning 2 PK votes out of 21 does not surprise me, given some coaches back then being much more open to speedy and shifty offensive forwards like Gretzky and Lemieux being used on the PK. getting 2 votes out of 21 is not all that impresive. I really wished they had to vote on 2nd and 3rd places for these polls so we could get a clearer picture

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote