View Single Post
Old
12-03-2004, 04:25 PM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Comparing the Rangers to Carolina is like comparing New York to a 3rd world country. Utterly ridiculous.
That's not the point. The point is you cannot blame Carolina for the Rangers reported losses. The Washington Press also singled out the Rangers, Isles and Devils.

Quote:
You have been on this board before trumpeting how the Rangers play to an empty Garden. This is not Long Island (no insult intended). You cannot hear crickets like you do there.
Not to go off topic but even Ranger fans on this board have written the same things about the attendance I have written when I go to the garden and that's been the history when the team struggles. Even when the seat were red and $25. The crickets are very loud in all three local buildings, for both hockey and basketball. The Knicks played before an announced 17,000 crowd (I went to the Memphis game and it looked much lower) and the Knicks are in first place. Let's just agree to disagree and move on....

Quote:
Carolina could not sell out the Stanley Cup Finals when they did go. The difference between having a franchise in Colarado and having one in Carolina or Florida is worlds apart. Are you seriously going to tell me that Carolina is just as crazy about hockey as Colarado is? Come on.
No, the difference is Colorado has one of the league's highest payrolls and went to four finals. You are aware hockey failed in Colorado and they moved for the same reasons you claim Florida and Carolina should be contracted now.

Quote:
Carolina and Florida are perfect examples of atrocious product placement. Those teams will NEVER make money. No matter how much they win, come the next season, the arenas will once again be empty. If they played in a place where people actually care about hockey, they would be able to re-sign, instead of unload.
I don't think we can say whether people care unless we live in that market and experience it. It's been a long time since the Panthers had a playoff game. Even Carolina during it's run had the lowest point totals of any Eastern Conference playoff team. What happened was not expected and it fell apart quickly afterward.

Quote:
Off course it has nothing to do with it. Bettman categorically refuses league-wide revenue sharing. Why? Revnue sharing can begin the process of solving revenue problems.
Where has Bettman said he is opposed to revenue sharing? Some of the owners may be, but again this has no impact on the NHLPA nor are they a part of this.

Quote:
Isn't that the real problem? Failing revenues are as much to blame for any type of loss number as anything. Certainly more than salaries.
The number one expense in this league are player salaries, they make over seventy percent of the revenue. No other league has this disparity. And of course the league has problems finding new revenue sources, the product is in decline and other sports are more important to the media.

Quote:
Levitt's report has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. If Bettman really was that brave, then is he now allowing an independent audit of the league? The answer is really simple. If E&Y or PWC discredit his $223m loss, then he has no leg to stand on.
We know the Levitt report is not perfect but the NHLPA wants no part of any of this process, they do not care if the league loses revenue. Is it that big a reach this business losses what it claims to lose, I do not think so.

Quote:
You want to call Tampa a hotbed of hockey? Fine. We will have to agree to disagree. I have been to about 15 Tampa games over the years. In almost every game I go to, you can hear crickets. I have a friend who goes to almost every game. He stopped at a game 15 minutes before one of the Stanley Cup finals and was able to purchase good tickets. Tampa is a horrible place for hockey with no fan support and should be moved.
And your basing this on what, the games you went to when they were in last place. This is a team that has won two playoff series since entering the NHL before last years playoffs. How many managements did they have before Bill Davidson came on board and their draft picks finally showed promise.

Quote:
And you cannot say that the Rangers are truly loosing revenue when representatives of Cablevision were on radio air when they said that the amount of income or loss that the Rangers report can be moved up or down depending on HOW Cablevision wants to present it.
Did Msg deny the Rangers were losing the revenue all these news sources reported? No, never. Forbes has them losing revenue the last two years also.

Quote:
As for the Devils, yet anothet horrible product placement. The Isles have not been able to sell out anything since the 80's..
It's very tough for all three teams in this hockey media these days. Hockey has always been a one demographic sport here and they have lost the casual fan. The impact baseball has with the general public is enormous and has never been larger.

Ticket prices are almost impossible for younger fans.