View Single Post
10-28-2009, 02:32 AM
nik jr
vCash: 500
i have not made any bios, but i decided to make one.

Bob Davidson

a big man for his time (5'11, 185), nicknamed "Rugged Robert."

played on a line with Syl Apps and Gordie Drillon, and later on a line with Ted Kennedy.

team captain from '43-'45, while Syl Apps was at war, including for the '45 championship team.

Known as one of the top defensive forwards in the NHL, that moniker was put to the test in the 1944 Stanley Cup semi-finals, when Davidson's assignment was to shadow Montreal's Maurice "The Rocket" Richard in game two of their best-of-seven series.

Originally Posted by Shorty Green, in 1-5-1944 Calgary Herald
I always thought Sweeney Schriner, Syl Apps and Davidson were the best of the modern Leafs. Davidson is better than a lot of people think. He's always in there, and goals scored off Davidson's wing in a year are few and far between.
Toronto's Bob Davidson was assigned to shadow Richard, and his defense helped the Maple Leafs register an upset in the first game. "He stayed so close to me that I got angry," Richard said. "I remember going up to their goalie, X, and telling him things would be different in the next game."

Richard won that next contest, scoring 5g, but it was through lines changes, and some mischief by a fan:
Originally Posted by Montreal Gazette: 3-24-1944
To Bob Davidson, one of the loop's leading back-checkers, was assigned the task of hobbling the rocketing Richard, and he did a good job of it in the first game. Last night, Irvin played 4 defencemen and only 8 forwards and Richard played on all 3 lines. Half the time he was out there, Davidson was sitting on the bench and Richard made a monkey of the younger Leafs who tried to take over the task of shadowing him.
A fan may have aided the Canadiens to score their first goal: that at least is what the Leafs claim. He tore Bob Davidson's stick out of his hands while the Habs were pouring on the power. Then he threw the stick after Davidson and it looked as though the latter was back in plenty of time to resume his position, though the Leafs claim otherwise. But it was right after this that Richard combined with McMahon and Blake to rifle the puck past Paul Bibeault.
Originally Posted by The Maple Leaf: 4-13-1944
Bob Davidson successfully checked Maurice Richard to a standstill in the first game, but coach Irvin out-juggled Hap Day in the second, got Richard on the ice when Davidson was on the bench, and the speedy winger promptly busted a modern Stanley Cup record by scoring all the Canadiens 5 goals in a 5-1 victory.
Davidson was an important part of TML's '45 win over the heavily favored Habs and their dominant Punch Line. Davidson was again assigned to check Richard, who had scored 50g.
TML upset the Habs in '45, and went on to win the cup.

Originally Posted by Ottawa Citizen: 11-15-1945
Hector "Toe" Blake and rugged Elmer Lach played a star role in the Montreal victory. Blake tallied two goals, both on assists by the center ice star who set the plays up perfectly. Their linemate, Maurice Richard, was too closely shadowed by left-winger Bob Davidson of Toronto to have any scoring opportunities.
Davidson later became TML's chief scout for several decades, and scouted much of the talent of their '60s dynasty.

Starting at 4:13, you can see some video of Davidson (and Apps) in this 1939 video. Davidson is #4.

in one shift, Davidson gets a scoring chance on a rush, then wins the loose puck on the boards, steals the puck back in the neutral zone, and then sets up Apps for a scoring chance.

Davidson later gets into a scrum with high sticks, and later scores a goal from the slot on a great pass from Apps.

Last edited by nik jr: 09-17-2011 at 08:02 AM.
nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote