View Single Post
Old
12-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Oiltalk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy

If this trade would have happened prior to the start of last season, (assuming no injuries or other extraordinary events occur) Edmonton would have made the playoffs and Nashville would have been golfing a round earlier. What was the reason the Oilers missed the playoffs last year? It certainly wasn't for a lack of character or leadership. It's the same reason this thread was created and why Petr Nedved was acquired at the trade deadline last year: Edmonton lacks a center who can effectively play on the top two lines. Which is exactly why Handzus is more valuable to the Oilers than Moreau is. Handzus can play on nearly every team in the leagues' top two lines, (outside of Colorado) and on a handful of teams' top line, one of which happens to be Edmonton. Are you telling me Moreau's value is more to the Oilers than this?
The thing here is that York is a better player than Handzus, and yet is still only a marginal top line Center at best. Handzus would be the used bandage that Lowe and Co. reuse every year, but in the end gets them no where. Hecht was brought in for the same reason.
To get a guy in Handzus that isn't even as good as our 2nd line Center in York is pointless IMO, especially when dealing away Ethan Moreau. Not saying I wouldn't make the trade, just that I'd prefer Lowe go after that #1 game breaking Center. Allison, Lindros? Even for a season, who knows, but we'll see how things turn out with this CBA.