View Single Post
Old
12-04-2004, 01:34 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater
I have to disagree before the incident with the Islanders and Cairns he was a pretty good fighter. He would hold his own against Brashear, and all the other heavy weights, etc. He also wasn't afraid to drop the gloves with anyone. I still remember when he charged Snow, after he elbowed Lindros that was entertaining.

The whole Cairns incident and time after has ruined his reputation as an enforcer. He definitely isn't much of a player though.
Not only Brash, but Fedoruk as well. And there have been others. His problem, besides skating (though not quite as horrible as some say), is that he does not play physical enough. While, yes, he will clear the crease and cross-check in order to do so, you just do not seem him taking the extra step to make the big, or even medium, hit. He would always play a bigger game when paired with another physical defenseman (a la Kloucek). Yes, he can and does play a snarly game around the net and along the boards, he is just not a hitting threat.
Remember, 2 years ago, until he got hurt, he spent the better part of the first half of the season being our best defenseman. That was the year he spent the extra time in the summer skating. I recall a stretch of games when Dale and Klouckek played some big, physical hockey as a pair. Then he took the puck on his foot somewhere midway and was not the same. Sather only used him as a pure goon.
Personally, I think that Purinton, provided he would spend every summer working on his skating, could be a servicable #6/7 defenseman in the league.