View Single Post
Old
11-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Acehawk74

vCash: 500
Hey congrats!

If I may, a few tips.

At this stage, just think about a general plan on how you both plan on approaching this. Think baby room. Shower. Just try to start the planning early to really lighten the load down the road. Also, keep in mind, there are a LOT of gimmick baby items out there... like a "Diaper genie". Often, misconceptions are that baby clothes and toys are what you want to stock up on. The most important items you can ever get as a gift (and you'll adore it when you do) are Wipes, Diapers, and naptimes. Just don't overdo things, keep it simple. From a support standpoint, just share the excitement, and try to make as many appointments as you can. Ask questions (i'd clear them with her first, I asked a really embarrasing question (for my wife) to the doc that got her pissed). It's a great, fun, process.

Down the road, and in the short term:

Always, always, always plan on being the "rock" for the next 12-18 months. There will be points where both of you are struggling both physically and emotionally, but always try to keep your cool, and be the rock for her, your kid, and yourself. Once resolved, go punch a tree if it helps, but being calm, collected, and strong is more of a help than she will even realize she needs.

During the final 3 months, she will be in a lot of pain and tension. Around month 7.5/8, surprise her with a spa treatment. That will be something she will ALWAYS cherish. That wont be "just another day to get a massage". Seriously, it gives the ladies such a nice time, as the backpain is insane.

Don't be afraid to show your fears. It's a scary time, cause everything is brand new. Overall though, just take a deep breath, and cherish every moment, cause they are all special.

My best wishes to you, your wife, and your child. Good luck!

Acehawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote