View Single Post
Old
12-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Wolfpack

vCash: 500
I work for a company that is a "minority" shareholder in the Edmonton Oilers. Talking with people somewhat "in the know", I can say that the Oilers organization is not a money-making business. You can look at all the gross revenue numbers you want, the bottom line is that it is basically a coin toss every year as to whether or not this organization will turn a small profit or suffer a loss.

As to Tom's ideas about the cash call going towards the NHL war chest - I honestly don't have the facts available to refute that, but it smacks of conspiracy theory to me. I know a guy who could probably have half the visitors here doubting whether the moon landing ever really took place - doesn't mean he's right.

Could the Oilers have drafted better in the 90's? Of course they could have. So could have many other teams. But the Oilers have, by necessity, kept their payroll in the bottom 3rd of the league over the past 8 years or so and still managed to challenge for a playoff spot every year. Basically, they've done the best they could with what they had. They are the poster child for franchises that need help from a new CBA.