View Single Post
Old
12-07-2004, 04:20 PM
I in the Eye
Drop a ball it falls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw7
I say this to a lot of people here, don't care what "side" they happen to be on. It's my opinion that if you've choosen a side, you're missing the entire point. Your bias too often gets in the way; you see a situation as you want to see it through that biased filter, and many relevant facts either get left out or get grossly mis-interpreted. And I'm talking about the facts we know about, which aren't many to begin with. There are many more we don't know, so people assume what they are based on their views and offer that as proof.
I agree... But I think that (since we're all human), we can't help but be biased... It's in our blood... It's an evolution survival thing...

The goal, IMO, is to constantly try to grab our bias before it gets too far... To keep on reminding ourselves that we've all got biases... To take the time to step back and try to look at the whole chess board, not just our individual pieces...

The struggle to realize and catch our individual bias, IMO, is the reasonable goal - not trying to eliminate our bias all together... There's a good reason us humans each have our bias, and to deny it, denies what makes us human...

IMO, nothing is wrong with a biased poster... It's expected, it's human, it's natural, and it makes for healthy discussion... Where it becomes a problem is when the biased poster fails to take a step back, fails to attempt to see and appreciate the other point-of-view, and fails to be prepared to re-formulate their stance based on considering new points...

Bias doesn't bother me... The only thing that bothers me a bit here is arrogance... Those that think that they are absolutely right and put down others who disagree... Without really considering other pov's (even the ones that seem at the outset very stupid), we'd be stuck in mediocrity (in our thoughts and in our lives)...

The goal here is to discuss and learn, IMO... not for someone to prove how smart they are, while making themselves feel smarter by putting 'an idiot' down...

If I was a mod, I'd let there be photos of naked women (and men, for the women and homosexual posters)... But if someone called someone else an idiot, I'd ban them on the spot... That's the true evil of a discussion... Put down the message, not the messenger...

Anyways, just my $.02...