View Single Post
Old
11-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Crosbyfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
In the end, the best USSR player in the series was actually Alexander Yakushev. Of course, Bobby Clarke made sure that Kharlamov didn't even get a chance (but it's hard for me to think Kharlamov could have played better or even as well as Yakushev did in the last 2 games).

And was Kharlamov better than Phil Esposito in '72? Surely more fun to watch, but better? Hmmm...
Espo was the best, clearly.

I agree Yakushev was #1 on the Soviet team.
Kharmalov may have been close if not injured, but I think the overall next best to Espo was probably Henderson, who was one of only a handful of Canadian players that started the series in half decent condition, and heroics aside, played well the whole series.

Esposito himself was obviously not in great shape at the start of the series, but managed to compete and overcome it.

Given that, as nice as Kharmalov was "fun" to watch, 35th is rather generous. Henderson is not on the top 100 list, nor should he be.

I wonder how the Russians would look upon Kharmalov, taking away this one series (and possibly the 74 series where his scoring was matched by 95 year old Gordie Howe )

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote