View Single Post
Old
09-21-2003, 11:27 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Looking at the teams that the Rags had when they won cups I see they had alot of hard workers on the team while having only a few true star players. They should go back to that and look over the roster and look after who is worth keeping of the one-dimensional players since hardworkers work both way.

Players (part of the big team) I'd keep:

-Offense
Kovalev
Simon
Carter (move back to center)
Barnaby
Lundmark
Petrovicky
Messier
Rucinsky
Nedved
Lacouture

-Defense-
Leetch
Malakhov
DeVries
Purinton
Kasparaitis

-Goalkeepers-
Dunham
Markkanen
Blackburn

Players I would play until they're contract is out and then not offer new ones
Lindros (Headache boy's a great player but brings a huge salary and not the greatest attitude)
Holik (not worth the money, resign only on alot smaller salary)
Mironov (overpaid, bad private conditioning will see him come in bad shape to camp)

Players I would try to trade:
Poti (not good enough offensively to be a one-dimensional offensive d-man, could bring a decent return)
Hlavac (has become a journeyman, could help a smaller team better than the rags)

Players I'd sign/trade for:
Steve Thomas (a hard worker who still can find the net, isn't useless when he's not scoring either)
Erik Cole (great tenacious forward with smarts and heart, a hard worker), if Erik Cole is untouchable they could try and go after either Leclerc of Anaheim or Hartnell of Nashville who play somewhat the same style, Cole is the first choice though.
Aaron Ward (great hard worker who can get nasty or make decent passing plays)

Lines:
Erik Cole - Anson Carter - Alexei Kovalev
Jamie Lundmark - Petr Nedved - Martin Rucinsky
Steve Thomas - Mark Messier - Matthew Barnaby
Dan LaCouture - Ronald Petrovicky - Chris Simon

Brian Leetch - Darius Kasparaitis
Dale Purinton - Greg DeVries
Aaron Ward - Vladimir Malakhov

Mike Dunham
Jussi Markkanen (for one year then trade)
Daniel Blackburn (takes Markkanen's place after one year)

Leetch would leave a big hole by being the only really gifted offensive defenseman, Purinton could produce 15 points a season if he continues to develop late. Tyutin could come in after a year as an offensive contributer from the blueline. Another optional need could be a star right winger to play instead of Rucinsky. I think that the rags will sooner or later go back to the wellbalanced kind of team.