View Single Post
11-10-2009, 12:42 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
lots of good posts here. This weekend was the Bauer AAA tourney here in chicago. unfortunately I have a daughter playing which means a 10 hr drive to Rochester, NY for the girls version of the bauer. But wait I got to spend 10 hrs talking with my girl and just had a great time. I actually think I enjoyed the 20 hrs in the car more than I enjoyed the games. Hockey will always be a sacrafice for all those involved. I do however think everything that our family does in support of her is worth it. just my $.02 though.
I coached with a guy for four or five years (my daughter has jumped over to the girls team so we don't coach togeher anymore ) who played juniors growing up, has been the team doc for the former local AHL team and is also a team Doc for a local Univeristy. He made a comment that I find very interesting and probably accurate. he pointed out that, in general, hockey players tend to be the most respectful and appreciative group of athletes to the medical staff, the trainers etc. His philosphy is that many athletes in other sports such as basketball, football etc. use the sport to escape their family and surroundings. Conversely, hockey actually tends to bring families together. Hockey players also see and truly appreciate the commitment parents make on their behalf. After stepping back and thinking about it, I think he is on to something.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote