View Single Post
Old
12-09-2004, 12:11 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Nice thread, always fun to look back at the draft. Here's some choices I had going into the draft in an article I wrote,

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=602

You'll notice I didn't do to well with the 3 chocies for each pick, but I did ok with the additional ones I put at the end of each pick. (Chipchura was the only one I got right)

How would I redo the draft of what I thought at the time we should take

18th- Korpikouski. Thought we would go for the speedy skilled center but more of a mystery in that he shot up the charts after the U-18's. But in hindsight I would want Chipchura or Meszaros, although I was a huge supporter of AJ Thelen and he seems to be having a lot of trouble this year.

84th- Sprunger. I wanted us to get the bing winger since I had heard some very good things about him from ISS and thought we could use his size down the road. But right before the draft, I got the russianprospects draft guide on all the russian prospects and that's when I read about Yemelin. I even posted right before the draft that he was a guy we should look at since he was 17 and a regular in the high league, plus he filled in on the top pairing at the U-18's and did well. In hindsight as much as I am interested in Yemelin, I would go with Aki Seitsonen or Jeff Glass.

100th- Jordan Smith was a guy I really wanted us to get and was surprised he went so high. Kevin Porter would be the pick I'd go with since Smith was long gone. Porter is small though and coming out of the US National program, so it would have been a risky pick. At 100th, there were tons of interesting picks on board. Lundin, Tomanek, Anderson, O'Neil, Sprunger, Seitsonen, Porter, Callahan, McGrath, Churchill, Hedman.

150th- Kyle Wilson was a guy I could have seen us picking, since we seem to like to pick guys from the ECAC and he's a center with decent size. I likely would have went with Cabana or Haskins, since I didn't think they would still be on board. Cabana reminds me more of Begin, and I am a big Begin fan, so it likely would have been him. Ben Walter, Rob Page, Ladislav Scurko, Patrick Kaleta would be some solid picks as well.

181st- Scott Lehman would have been my pick. I was impressed with him each time I saw St Mikes. I still don't know how we pick Lacasse over Ellis, but we'll see what happens.

212th- Matt Christie would be my pick. He's not that big but good wheels and hands. Houle would have been a solid goalie choice if we didn't go for Lacasse. Chris Campoli would have been a good pick too.

246th- I liked what I had seen from Greg Stewart while watching Mark Flood play, but I would likely have gone with Jan Steber as I felt he had some decent offensive upside, or Brain Ihnacak who led Brown in scoring as a freshman.

262nd- Kyle Wilson would have been my pick, especially since I hope we sign a teammate of his Jon Smyth when he's finished college. If not for Wilson, Janik Hansen would have been my pick as I had heard he was small but skilled.

278th- Sasha Grenier-Pokulk would likely have been my pick since he was a 6'5 defensemen headed to Cornell. But Greg Park (from the SJHL as well) or Josh Soares who was a standout in Ontairo juniors but didn't see much ice time with Maine as a freshman, or Lascek or Shirokov, or Dubinin, or Megalinsky, or Panin or Rauito (sweden) or LaValle would have been some good choices.