View Single Post
Old
12-09-2004, 01:58 AM
leafaholix*

vCash: 500
My stab at it...

18. Johannes Salmonsson (Kyle Chipchura)
He's a guy I would have taken in the top 20. A tremendous skater with great size potential, and he has plenty of skill. I saw him play twice last year and he has the physique to possibly fill out into a Mats Sundin type body. One of the best skaters I've seen at that age in the game and he's a big kid at around 6'2, 190 pounds.

84. Evan McGrath (Alexei Yemelin)
I think this is the concensus selection at this position. He was expected to go in the top 10 prior to the 2003/04 season, but failed to produce as expected and dropped. His lack of physical play may have also been a problem as well as his consistency. I think he'd make a good pick for Montreal. High offensive potential.

100. Dimitri Vorobyev (James Wyman)
He was rated pretty high by the CSB and is having a great season with Lada of the Super League. He's a big kid and that's probably the reason he fell in the draft, after weighing in at I think it was 211 pounds during the Toronto combine. He should have gone in the top 3 rounds. According to Kyle Woodlief, he had the most accurate point shot of all the defensemen in the draft, a very consistent and smart shot... as well as having the physical presence to compete against NHL players at the age of 19.

150. Bret Nasby (Mihail Grabovsky)
A sound defensive defenseman with great size. Saw him this past week on Sportsnet as well, and one word to describe his game is "steady". Made smart plays, looked strong, played great positional hockey, and he seem to be able to skate very nicely for a big man.

181. Josh Disher (Loic Lacasse)
Just reading up on him and checking his stats, he looks like a great prospect. His weight (around 160 lbs) may have had something to do with his dropping in the draft.

212. Denis Kulyash (Jon Gleed)
21 years old, good size at 6'3, 200 pounds... and he's producing in the Russian Super League. At this rate in his development as a hockey player, he may score 20-30 points next season in the Russian League, which is excellent. Along with Janne Niskala, he resembles a potential Marek Zidlicky-type pick.

246. Daniel Winnik (Greg Stewart)
Haven't seen him more than once, he was fairly impressive. Sounds like a good all around forward. A bit older than Stewart, but he's much bigger in weight and has a better offensive game. Good production so far with the University of New Hampshire.

262. Jakub Petruzalek (Mark Streit)
One of those high offensive potential European prospects. Kind of small, not the greatest skater, but he's a good offensive weapon with Ottawa and a high potential prospect... probability factor is probably lower than you'd like, but it looks like Montreal's scouting staff and management look at potential.

278. Dominik Granak (Alexandre Dulac-Lemelin)
Forgot about Granak. He's a little bit older than the '86 birthdate for 2004, I think he's almost 22 years old, but he's a really good defenseman in the Czech League and he apparently had a good showing for the national team last year. He could be a steal for someone in 2005.

Last edited by leafaholix*: 12-09-2004 at 07:43 AM.