View Single Post
Old
12-09-2004, 04:27 AM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

vCash: 500
Sticks: Long or Short, Curved blade or Flat(ter)?

I've always played with a medium-height stick, with a pretty average curve. Giving it some thought, I think I might try buying a stick that gives me a few extra inches reach, and one with a Kovalchuk-esque curved blade. What length and curve do you guys like?

I know with the extra length dekes close to the body will be a lot harder, but the extra reach would do wonders on the defensive side of things (interceptions/pokechecks), and I think a long stick has its own benefits for dekes too (extra wide reach, and a greater distance between the puck and your body could help in putting the defensemen in two minds).

All I've done is think about this, ie. I haven't tried a longer stick and I'm not sure how much of a difference it'd make. It seems like a good idea to me at least, but I don't have the cash to waste in case it sucks.

Who in the NHL uses longer than average sticks? Martin St. Louis' stick looks taller than he does, but thats understandable.. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else who uses overly long sticks. St. Louis isn't exactly bad at stickhandling, and his shot ain't half bad either. Is he overcoming the difficulties of a long stick, or are these difficulties just overstated?

As for the curve, I just want a better wrist shot. I've heard the more curved a stick is, the better the wrist shots are, is this true? What is the downside of having an excessively curved blade, other than the backhand problem?

So what do you guys think? What are the pros/cons of a longer stick and an excessively curved blade?