Thread: TSN: Manny Legace a Cane
View Single Post
Old
11-12-2009, 08:39 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Because I've seen them all play and based that opinion on observation not just stat lines. They are looking for someone to step up for a period of time while Ward is out and Legace best fills that kind of role. Leighton is a journeyman who simply isn't consistent enough and Peters isn't ready. Who cares about their AHL stats over a relatively few games? Leighton tore up the AHL a couple of seasons ago and has major holes in his game still at the NHL level. Again, I see Peters as an NHL journeyman at best.
I think it says something about how the netminders are currently playing. Doesn't it say something that

1. No NHL team even offered to sign Legace to a 2-way deal in the off-season
2. That Legace isn't even putting up good numbers in the AHL

If Legace was lighting up the AHL then I'd say that it's a good signing, but he's not.

That said I too have seen all 3 netminders play. I've been watching Leighton since his days in Norfolk and I agree that he's not capable of handling the load (frankly I don't think he's a NHL netminder period). What Legace did 3-5 years ago is irrelevant. What is relevant is his mediocre play this season at the minor league level while Peters is playing extremely well.

If Peters was a rookie then I would agree that bringing in another goalie is a good idea, but this is his 4th professional season. See what the kid can do. As I said if he doesn't play well in a couple of starts Legace would still be there next week to sign.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote