Thread: TSN: Manny Legace a Cane
View Single Post
Old
11-12-2009, 09:39 AM
StormCast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I think it says something about how the netminders are currently playing. Doesn't it say something that

1. No NHL team even offered to sign Legace to a 2-way deal in the off-season
2. That Legace isn't even putting up good numbers in the AHL

If Legace was lighting up the AHL then I'd say that it's a good signing, but he's not.

That said I too have seen all 3 netminders play. I've been watching Leighton since his days in Norfolk and I agree that he's not capable of handling the load (frankly I don't think he's a NHL netminder period). What Legace did 3-5 years ago is irrelevant. What is relevant is his mediocre play this season at the minor league level while Peters is playing extremely well.

If Peters was a rookie then I would agree that bringing in another goalie is a good idea, but this is his 4th professional season. See what the kid can do. As I said if he doesn't play well in a couple of starts Legace would still be there next week to sign.
Teams shied away from Legace because he reacted poorly to how he got squeezed out of St. Louis after his injury and ultimately sent to the AHL. He actually played well for Atlanta in training camp, he was very sharp against the Canes, but they opted to keep Hedberg who's been their backup for several years now.

How players are cast aside or overlooked by other teams is an unreliable barometer. See Jokinen for a recent example of a useful player at a crucial time who the entire league took a pass on.

Comparing Legace and Peters' AHL numbers at this stage of the year shows little. Different D's in front of them vs. different teams, etc. Numbers rarely tell the whole story and Legace's strong performance against Carolina in the pre-season probably factored in much more than a stat line check.

We agree on Leighton but not on Peters. I hate to say it but realistically he is organization depth at this point, IMO, and far from ready to step in. I don't care what his stats show either just as Leighton's AHL numbers didn't mask his obvious flaws at the NHL level. He isn't the answer and finding a veteran NHL goalie was the right move. It was a good signing for those reasons but, of course, it remains to be seen if it translates on the ice.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote