View Single Post
Old
11-12-2009, 01:46 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Looks like I missed some good controversy.

For my skipped pick, I'll take a guy who won 3 Stanley Cups, can play any forward position, and is pretty good at every aspect of the game.

Sergei Brylin, F

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Brylin can successfully play all three forward positions, albeit usually in a defensive role and has been called upon to play on any of the top 3 lines. His quiet work ethic and versatility made him a valuable part of the team. Brylin has won three Stanley Cup championships with the Devils in 1995, 2000, and 2003. Brylin is one of five Devils who have played for all three of their championship teams, the only others being Martin Brodeur, Scott Niedermayer, Scott Stevens, and Ken Daneyko.
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendsofhockey
Possessing good speed and a sound grasp of all the game's facets, centre Sergei Brylin became a valuable member of the New Jersey Devils in the late 1990s. His superior puck-handling and strength on his skates made him a versatile player for the club and an asset on both specialty teams.
Quote:
That's Brylin, though. He's one of those little cogs that make the Devils tough to beat. He plays on a checking line, kills penalties and can score a big goal when needed. He had a goal and an assist in New Jersey's Cup-clinching game against Detroit in 1995.

"Sergei has been a key part of our team over the years, the unsung hero," said defenseman Ken Daneyko, referring to the team award Brylin won in 2001 and 2002. "We've managed to get this far with him being injured, so to bring in a guy who can play at both ends of the rink is a spark for us. He's a playoff-type player who can only help if he's healthy."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...ils_brylin_ap/

Brylin played LW on the Gomez-Mogilny line in 2001 and sometimes in 2000, so he should fit in well as LW on my top minor league line with Gomez and Amonte. He also has the versatility to be slotted anywhere on the main team lineup without being a liability, should major injury problems occur. He was a part time center on the 2nd scoring line in 1995, and a right wing on the Madden checking line after the lockout.

Yes, this might be a tiny bit of a homer pick, but I haven't even come close to making one all draft, so I'll have fun with my last pick. I certainly think a complete utility player can be an asset to any team.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 11-12-2009 at 01:56 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote