View Single Post
Old
12-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Seph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I was never a huge Gauthier fan. I like him as a #5 dman, but not much more than that.

I understand your concern about our defense (which is well placed). But, if Aucoin and Hamrlik are lost, I expect the Isles will be active in the UFA market.

Which two wings do we have that are a good bet for 25 goals? Blake MIGHT get there, but I don't see anybody else. And Blake, as handy as he is, is not really a top six forward. I wouldn't even say that he is a sure thing for 20 next year.

I guess we can debate the wisdom of trading Parrish but to some extent it is a moot point. I don't think Isles management has any intention of moving him.
I know you don't like Gauthier, but I think he'd be a good depth move that fills in the gap between Parrish and Simon. The two would instantly add a lot of the grit we missed last year.

I think Blake and Hunter both have a quality chance at 25. It is of course no sure thing, but then again, Parrish has only hit 25 once with the Islanders. He was of course on pace for more before his injury, but considering his streakiness, that only means so much -- although, last year, he seemed to be showing a lot of signs of becoming more consistent, in his thirty goal year he only had maybe ten of those in the second half of the season, so it's hard to gauge. Maybe "good bet" was too strong. But Hunter scored 25 in his rookie season, despite an injury that limited his effectiveness for the last 20 games or so. Blake scored 22 in 75 games, which projected over 82 games, is 24 goals, and did that despite being shuffled all over the lines and never playing at RW (due to our need for LW) where I think he is more effective. I don't think it's unrealistic to think they could do it again. Two seasons ago Blake was an integral part of our best line and he scored more goals and only a point less than Parrish. I have no problem with him on the top line, especially with the way his speed can open up room and his two way play.

But ultimately, I agree with you. Management is quite unlikely to deal Parrish and I don't see any deal along these lines happening. More than anything, I'm just bored and there's no real hockey to talk about so this is how I have to fill in the gaps.