View Single Post
Old
12-10-2004, 12:00 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500
It doesn't stop with this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
key phrase there being this year alone. I'm glad that the nhlpa made an offer, an I hope it forces the owner to give a bit, but this offer is very deceiving. The luxery tax offer is pathetic, what happened to the rumors of 70% above $40 million? This offer doens't really solve any problems beyond this year. A better offer would have been to keep the rollback and offer a serious luxery tax.
It is for the life of all existing contracts and all negotiations from here on out are all based off a system that is now 24% less than it was at the end of last season.

All arbitration cases are now compared to a system that is 24% cheaper.

This year alone they give back that amount, next year it's going to be higher of course, because new contracts will be signed, at 24% lower numbers than they would previously and all current contracts that escalate somewhat will now escalate at a 24% reduced clip.

This is an offer that brings the owners back to 1994-95 which is, in my opinion, where the salaries seemed to start to get out of control. This is an offer that puts the ball back in the court of the owner and says, BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, and ther's won't be a need for a cap. And to help you in policing yourselves, here's a tax when you get to spend happy.