View Single Post
Old
11-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Nidema

vCash: 500
I think its unfair to judge the potential of that non-trade based on the assessment of the players' abilities today. Malone's value really sky rocketed in 2008 during the Cup run and Scuderi's in 2009.

The way I would look at it if I was projecting into the future is this.
Malone VS the 1st round pick
Scuderi vs Gorges

At the time, Gorges and Scuderi were a wash. Gorges was a young defenseman who has yet to establish himself. Scuderi was a serviceable defenseman that can really help a team's depth.

It comes down to what Gainey and Timmins think they can get with San Jose's pick. Obviously, they knew it would be a late 1st round pick. Their assessment must have been that potential player would be better or a cheaper alternative to Malone.

Right now, Scuderi and Gorges are both comparable players. Malone is clearly much better than Pacioretty. I think the difference is that Gorges and Pacioretty are cheap contracts whereas Scuderi and Malone are not. Pacioretty may or may not develop into the PWF we crave but that's another story. I think this was a good non trade for us considering how cap strapped we are.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote