View Single Post
Old
11-19-2009, 02:12 PM
DontStepanMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
to the first part....i'd argue that its the unexpected hit to the head that causes it....either in that the actual hit causes the concussion or the player is in a daze after the blind head shot and is unable to soften the blow from the ice....either way it is a direct result of the head shot
a big hit can make a player hit his head on the ice and get concussed. As soon as there is a concussion people keep on saying it was a headshot. A good clean bodycheck can also lead to concussions if a player hits his head on the ice, boards, etc.

Quote:
to the second part, i could not disagree more. Hits to the head are completely avoidable, regardless of player size...there's more ways to hit than using your shoulder or elbow as cruise missile locked on your opponents helmet
I dont think they are completely avoidable sometimes. many times you see players move, or duck before getting hit. Players themselves leave themselves in very exposed positions alot. The game is so fast that sometimes if a player turns the wrong way, or ducks it will result in a headshot. headshots are not always done on purpose, as the media is reporting way to much. I think people are really being brainwashed to believe that every head shot is intentional. They arent.

Look at some boarding calls (or non calls), in many instances players turn at the last second putting them in that position. I would argue that sometimes they do it on purpose to try to draw a penalty.

Quote:
Also, as for your comment on rules, the important part about implementing new rules is the integrity of the refs and the calls they make. I personally feel that penalty calling in the NFL (and NHL to a lesser extend) is horrid. If a new rule about head shots was to be added than this issue would have to be addressed. As would the issue of diving which is already out of control
Hockey happens so fast, that what will probably happen (basing this on the NFL), is that refs will just start calling any big hit where a player is injured (or shaken up), a headshot without actually being sure.

the only way I would support a headshot rule, is if everysingle time a headshot penalty is called there is a video review to make sure it is in fact an actual headshot, and that it appears to be the defenders fault... ie not the person getting hit turning the last second and thereby inducing a headshot. And if the player is found not guilty than time will be put back on the clock and play will resume at the nearest faceoff circle at the spot of the incident.

More penalties, will create more games being decided by refs, who may or may not have, seen the entire play but saw a result.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote